An inlaid writing Table
mahogany construction, veneered with rosewood and walnut,
inlay from different kinds of wood, brass fittings,
London, c. 1900
In the drawer label of the Druce & CO. Company.
Object after renovation.
Druce & Co. Ltd, although listed here as in Portman Square, was a furniture store at the corner of Baker Street and Blandford Street in London. Initially the store was also known as “the Baker Street Bazaar”, the site originally being the home of a horse bazaar which extended to carriages and other goods, including ladies’ accessories and furnishings in the 1830s. For a while Mme Tussaud’s waxworks occupied the upper floors. The furniture store was established in the 1850s by a second hand furniture dealer called Thomas Charles Druce who died in 1864 when his son Herbert took over and ran the business until 1913. On 8th December 1940 Druce & Co. Ltd. suffered extensive damage following a German bombing raid and the stock of bedding, furniture, carpets and antiques was largely destroyed.
72 x 107 x 63 cm